Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day!


Here's a picture of us in front of the Forsyth Park Fountain in Savannah.
The water is green in honor of St. Patrick's Day.
Do you have a favorite tradition to celebrate St. Patty's Day? In our family, our traditions (of course) are centered around food. We usually bust out the yearly corned beef and cabbage. By the way, did you know that corned beef is an American meal, not an Irish one?

The first St. Patrick's Day after we were married, I was determined to celebrate with as much Irish-ness as possible. I spent hours online researching the menu. I couldn't find anything suitable for dessert. It seemed like most St. Patrick's Day desserts involved green food coloring or Grasshopper Cookies. Not too authentic.

Finally, I found a recipe for Banoffee Pie, which sounded very Irish to me. This involved simmering an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk for hours. The whole time I was convinced that the can would explode and ruin our tiny apartment kitchen. Thankfully it didn't. But as we were eating the pie, it finally occurred to me that "banoffee" is a contraction for "banana" and "toffee," the two main ingredients of the pie. Not Irish at all!! (But still good...)

This St. Patrick's Day, our celebrations are around family and friends, rather than pretend Irish food. I think this is better in so many ways. In any case, however they happen at your home, I hope your celebrations today are full of fun. And maybe a little bit of blarney.

1 comment:

  1. I made beer cheese soup one year... and decided I don't like the taste of beer in soup. This year, I'm just making green sugar cookies with the kids... Matt insisted that me all wear orange and green today since we are not Catholic by Protestant.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...